Make sleep your New Year’s Resolution.
It’s that time of the year again and yes we have all promised ourselves to exercise more, eat
better, spend less and of course hit the gym.
But one thing that gets over looked and doesn’t appear on any list is
“I want to improve my sleep.”
At The Sleep Shop we believe to live well you need to sleep well first. Improving your sleep
will give you a strong foundation to start with, in helping you reach your goals… A great
night’s sleep is essential to maintain your overall mental and physical health.
Medical research into sleep deprivation links it to depression, obesity, heart disease and
Alzheimers to name a few. So it makes sense to put sleep at the top of your list this year.
One of the biggest challenges when it comes to improving sleep is what to do or where to
start. Making big chances in our behaviour are difficult and bad habits are hard to break but
The best way to start is by keeping a sleep diary. Record when you go to bed when you get
up, this will give you an idea of your current habits and where to improve. Here are a few
tips to get you started.
1. Keep a sleep diary. Track your bed time and wake time. It’s best to keep this
2. If you are not too hot or too cold you will sleep a lot better. Room temperature
should be between 16-18 degrees
3. Keep your bedroom tidy, a tidy room means a tidy mind making it easier to relax.
4. Blue light is one of the biggest sleep disruptors. Remove TV’s, laptops from your
bedroom. 90 minutes before bedtime switch off all screens giving your brain a
chance to relax before bed.
5. Avoid alcohol, cigarettes and heavy meals in the evening as these will affect your
ability to sleep and the quality of your sleep.
6. Your last cup of coffee should be no later than 2pm.
A lot of people dismiss the importance the correct mattress and pillow has on your
sleep. We believe the foundation to a great night’s sleep is the correct pillow and
mattress. Why not call in store today to learn how we can help improve your sleep.
Happy New Year.