Don’t forget to put your clock back this Sunday and enjoy the extra hour under the duvet. So who’s idea was this and when did it start and what are the benefits to you? This is the start of brighter mornings and darker evenings.
Here are 10 very interesting facts about Sleep the positives and negatives.
1. The idea of putting the clock back was first put forward by an English Builder called William Willetts in 1907.He tirelessly promoted the idea of the Daylight Saving Time and made several attempts to have it passed by Parliament and even with the help of a young Winston Churchill failed.
2. It wasn’t until May of 1916 at the start of World War 1 that the bill was passed by the British Parliament but only after the Germans adapted the idea first. Many other countries followed.
3. A 2013 study carried out by the Surrey Sleep Centre and the BBC showed a link between the extra hour sleep that helps protect against illness such as cancer, diabetes and stress.
4. According to Dr. Matthew Walker, Director of the Centre of Sleep at Berkeley says extra sleep can help improve memory and increase Learning.” Just 60-90 minutes of additional Sleep boost learning capacity of the brain”
5. A report carried out by the Journal of Sleep found that an extra hour of sleep helped in improve blood pressure levels among people with hypertension and or pre-hypertension.
6. Another study carried out in America in 2010 found the C-reactive protein which is associated with heart attack risk, was higher in people who got six or fewer hours sleep a night.
7. Stanford University’s research proved that college football players who got at least 10 hours a night over a 7-8 week period improved their average sprint time and had less daily fatigue and more stamina.
8. The journal of Paediatrics found that children aged between 7 and 8 years old who sleep less than 8 hours a night were more likely to be hyperactive, inattentive and also impulsive.
9. Drowsy Driving according to The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration causes over 100,000 car crashes in America each year. This information is retrieved for Police reports.
10. The Road Safety Association in Ireland believe